Saturday, November 15, 2008

Out another grand

Once again the motorcycle has failed to be the bulletproof machine it is known to be. This is due to the unfortunate fact that the bike had been left sitting for a long period of time. So it was back to the mechanic. This time it was the front engine seals that had failed and a lot of oil was leaking straight out of the crank case. There was no easy fix and the engine had to be pulled again. I also had the brakes looked at as they were squealing which usually indicates the pads are ready to be replaced. The front master cylinder ended up needing to be rebuilt.
After another $1000, I was really starting to get sore from taking it up the tail pipe. Again the mechanic gave me a bit of a break on the labour. Unfortunately later on I would find out that the cables had not been routed properly and a main electrical connector which powers the headlights and signal lights was not connected properly which I didn't figure until I rode home at dusk with no headlight and kind motorist were flashing me, warning me I was a shadow on the road.
I was able to fix the connector problem by removing the side fairrings, seat and gas tank and simply plugging the adapter back together. Later on I would find out that wiring harness which had been reinstalled outside of the it's proper route was fraying on a sharp edge on a part of the frame causing a short. This blew the fuse for the tail-light and the lights on the instrument panel. Luckily a fellow rider stopped me and let me know. Again this was fixed by removing the side fairrings, seat and tank and re-routing all the cables properly and retaping the wiring harness.
It felt good to be able to do repairs on my own with out having to drive 40 minutes across town and back and pay some one to do the work.
The total investment has reached the $5000 mark. I am now looking at touring motorcycles that would have cost me $5000. They are looking pretty nice. A lot better than a 1981 Silverwing. But the good thing about my bike's age is I can put collector plates on the bike and keep it for weekend riding at a fraction of the cost of regular insurance.

No comments: