Saturday, November 15, 2008

More bad news

Finally I have my machine home and I am excited to hit the open road and get some miles under my belt. Little did I know there were major problems with this machine which was easily disguised by some band-aid repairs.
After my ride home from Abbotsford I was leery about the electrical system. I was hoping and praying that it was just an old battery but luck was not on my side as the previous owner, 'Ike', had mentioned he replaced the battery less than a year ago. After a few rides and monitoring the voltage with my voltage meter it was obvious the new battery was not being charged. After some research on the interweb it was obvious that I was facing a cooked stator. (Bad alternator) This is not an easy fix. Because of the way the motor is mounted in the frame (sideways), the electronics are not easily accessible and any small jobs need to be preceded by 5hrs worth of disassembly, draining the oil, coolant and removing all the fairring and finally the engine. There was no way I was going to be able to do this in a day in my back alley. There is absolutely no room in the two car garage with two cars and five bikes in it either.
After shelling out $1200 for a motorcycle that didn't even get me home, I was a little perturbed to say the least. It was time to contact the seller, Isaac T
"The last thing that I would Knowingly do is try to pull a fast one over some body"
"I am a firm believer in do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Well, lets just say that if Ike is a believer in the golden rule, he is going to get stung bad down the line! So I was screwed. I just payed $1200 for a motorbike that doesn't work and it is far away from working without a lot more investing. I considered selling it but I just couldn't stomach doing the same thing to another human being. Apparently Ike could. So my decision was to keep the bike as it was the type of bike I wanted. A medium sized touring bike with room for two and some luggage and I was sick and tired of looking for a bike as summer was quickly passing. I would soon learn how foolish a decision this was.
I started sussing out a mechanic. A friend's friend had worked with a shop called 'Simon's Auto Cycle Repairs' in East Vancouver, so I was willing to give them a try. I made the arrangements and dropped the bike off. I was later called back with all the bad news. As I had expected it was going to be at least $1000 and I would need to hand over a $1000 deposit for the mechanic to even start working on it. I was leery about this too and wrote up a contract to cover my butt. It hurt but I delivered the $1000 and the repairs began. It was all bad news from here on in.
Once the mechanic got the bike apart he suggested Tisaacthiessen@shaw.ca. I would not recommend doing any kind of business with him.

No comments: